The growth of cells in an uncontrollable manner that invade and cause damage to the neighboring tissues is called cancer. There are many types of cancer, manifesting in many different areas of the body. Oral cancer, which includes cancers of the tongue, lips, floor of the mouth, cheeks, and hard palate, can be life threatening if it is not found, diagnosed, and treated early on.
Signs of oral cancer include:
– Velvety white, red, or speckled patches inside the mouth
– Bleeding in the mouth for an unknown reason
– Numbness or tenderness in the face, mouth, neck, or ear for an unknown reason
– The feeling that something is caught at the back of the throat
– Difficulty speaking, chewing, swallowing, or moving the jaw or tongue
– Chronic sore throat or change in voice
– A change in your bite
– A lump in your neck
As part of your routine dental exam at Northwest Center for Dentistry, Dr. Cameron Clark will perform an oral cancer screening. Our dentist will check for lumps or irregular tissues in your head, neck, face, and oral cavity. Your mouth will then be examined for sores or discolored tissue. Our dentist will also check for the symptoms listed above. If any suspicious tissue is detected, a biopsy may be recommended, during which a tissue sample is tested for cancer. A biopsy can detect oral cancer early, before it has a chance to progress.
To learn more about screening for oral cancer in Kalispell, Montana, and to schedule your next appointment, please contact our office at (406) 752-4530 today. Our dentist and team are thrilled to serve you and your smile!